Donna Eden & David Feinstein, Ph.D. © 2005
DEFINITIONS: An electrical device is “grounded” when it is connected to the ground in a way that allows excess energy to leave the system. We are:
- PHYSICALLY GROUNDED when we can feel our connection with the Earth and carry ourselves (posture, movement, awareness) in a manner that is in harmony with the Earth’s gravitational pull.
- EMOTIONALLY GROUNDED when our energies and emotions move through our physically-grounded body freely and are wholesomely discharged through our cells, our breath, our thoughts, & our actions.
- SPIRITUALLY GROUNDED when a physically-grounded body and an emotionally-grounded mind are in harmony & alignment with one another and with “spirit” (the animating force within living things).
Techniques that align your energies with the force field of the Earth and allow your energies and feelings to move freely through your body:
- “Separating Heaven & Earth”/“Connecting Heaven & Earth”
- The 3rd-Eye/Navel “Hook-Up”
- “Taking Down the Flames”
- “Expelling the Venom.” Follow with a slow and deliberate “Zip-Up” that ends by reaching up to the heavens and circling your arms down until they hang at your sides.
- With your hands on your thighs, smooth your hands down your legs
- The “Wayne Cook Posture”
- The “Three Thumps”
A Quick “Physical” Grounding Technique
(memorize and keep in your back pocket!)
- Do a 3rd-Eye/Navel “Hook-Up”
- Place your hands at the sides of your waist (at the Belt Flow)
- With your thumb in the front and fingers toward the back, slide your hands slowly and firmly down your legs
- When you get to your feet, squeeze at the sides of your feet
- End by tracing up the spleen meridian
A Quick “Mental” Grounding Technique
This three-part method can be done mentally in a flash whenever you need it. Memorize it so it is always instantly available. It can also be combined with any of the earlier methods.
- Place your feet flat on the ground and take a deep in-breath. As you release this breathe, mentally drop your energy low in your body.
- With another deep in-breath, move your energy down governing meridian, from the top of your spine, down your spine, off your tailbone, and into the Earth. You are creating a “grounding wire” to the Earth. Also feel the pull of gravity down through your legs and feet.
- As you release your breath, release your thoughts and concerns and release any energy that is not yours down through this grounding wire and through your feet.
With this technique, you consciously align yourself with the force of gravity in pulling your energies down into the force field of the earth. By involving Governing meridian, you are able to instantly move your energies with your mind.
Opening to the Grounding Energies of the Earth
(to enter at your feet and hands)
- Open the “foot chakras” by massaging and stretching the heel away from the ball and then massaging the gaits and squeezing the sides.
- Open the “hand chakras” by thumbing them (massaging the palm of one hand with the thumb of the other) and then pulling the energies off each of your fingers.
Staying “Grounded” in the Air
While many physical and emotional experiences can disrupt our natural grounding, air travel is a special case because of the unnatural prolonged separation from the Earth combined with its being so unlike anything we encountered as we evolved. While some people are more sensitive than others to “earthlessness,” here are some simple methods anyone can use:
During the flight: Tap the ends of the meridians (use a basic “energy psychology” sequence or find the meridian endpoints in Energy Medicine). Do at least 3 or 4 times over the course of your travel, depending on the length of the flight and how many take-offs and landings are in your itinerary. Some people also are reporting that this prevents jet lag.
Before getting off the airplane: Open your feet and hand chakras as described earlier. Then sedate your stomach meridian using the acupressure holding points. End by tapping the stomach points on your cheekbones and thanking the pilot for the safe landing.
At your destination: First, “Connect Heaven & Earth.” If you then do not feel balanced, centered, and grounded, any of the earlier grounding methods can be used. Here is one that addresses the way that for many people, their field is spinning after a flight. The basic strategy is to ground your chakras to the new geographical location:
- Starting with either hand at your heart, breathe deeply and make a clockwise circle.
- Continue and expand the circle, so that on the second round you pass over your 3rd and 5th chakras, on the next circle (spiraling outward) you pass over your 2nd and 6th chakras, and on the fourth circle you pass over your 1st and 7th chakras.
- Finally make giant circles as high as your hands can reach at the top and touching the ground at the bottom.
As part of the above, or separate from it, if you are feeling unstable at a location, take your hand & smooth it slowly a couple of times around your navel, and then land your hands at your 2nd and 4th chakras and hold for as long as it feels good.